working on how to bring solutions of transition towards more responsible lifestyles

<>

October 27, 2008

Report 1/3

First of all, I would like to thank all those which answered my questionnaire on the various platforms where I have them posted*
Your answers helped me with better determining your desires and needs *and I have used that to propose four possible future directions for the project*.

This phase of research, observation and analysis of key issues has now ended, and I will explain my conclusions next Thursday during a half an hour presentation.

Before presenting the complete report to you based on the results of this questionnaire and generally on my conclusions, here the four options I am proposing to continue working on. Which do you think are most interesting/exciting?:

1• More autonomisation
Thinking about the increased self production (empowerment, do-it-yourself)
which would require the creation of workshops where one learns how to revalorize his own worn textiles, where one is framed with the knowledge to make and hardware requirement etc….

2• More proximity
Thinking about increased local production (tailor-made, local, transparency)
which would require the creation of a standard service tailor of district, one brings his old clothing, selected among the cuts available and orders its clothing, personalized, made starting from recycled clothing…

3• More valorization
Thinking about increased use of waste textiles in production (producers start to use waste textiles themselves)
which would require the creation of a new service for a brand which would be able to offer a new type of line production: when one buys a clothing on their premises, customers will be able to bring back it at the end of the lifetime and to recycle it into another product which one will be able to recover (this product may be envisaged in the design of the initial product)

4• More communisation
Thinking about the increased use of informal networking (desire to share, support barter, loaning)
which would require the creation of a service allowing barter or the loan of clothing, for a special occasion or the daily newspaper. People would have the “basics" on their premises and would come to get them “extras” in shop. That would make it possible to make turn clothing which is not useful/likes more but which can always be used for others.


To note that, in order to limit the wasting and especially to avoid to the maximum production of new textiles, I chose to work starting from worn clothing and other textiles, for the creation of new systems of consumption of clothing.

Following this first defence, I will have to choose one of these orientations to conceptualize it and draw the architecture and the operation of the service.
Thus do not hesitate to say to me as of now which is the axis who seems to you to be most relevant (or most interesting to work) and why…

I thank you in advance!


--
*links to the discussions (bold characters are discussions in English)
Quotidien Durable, réflexions pour un quotidien plus responsable
Caroline Daily, la bulle glamour - forum environnement
CouchSurfing: Voies alternatives de vivre et de consommer
CouchSurfing: Alternative ways of living, consuming,...
FaceBook: Buy Nothing Day
FaceBook: Objecteurs de croissance
FaceBook: Réflexion sur la décroissance
FaceBook: Simplicité volontaire/Voluntary simplicity


These questionnaires obviously did not enable me to make a complete study: the sample of the questioned people not being representative, (and then, it is not either my trade) but they will have been useful to me, with the manner of a guide of maintenance, to update the uses, waitings, the desires and the needs for a category of anybody targeted and allowed to work out my tracks research.

Thanks again to everyone!

You can also vote by the poll I've posted on the French version: here

2 comments:

  1. Magalie, I like your thinking here. Most people who are working on this are thinking about 1 or 2 or 4. Whilst websites like threadbanger.com are supporting option 1, I think this is very unlikely to become widespread in the UK.

    But then I don't know what you are asking. If you mean which of these are happening at the moment, then all of them. If you are asking which will be most important, I would definitely say 3, although this is only at a small scale at the moment. But all are important and will feature at some scale in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Joe!
    in this post I present the four orientations I propose to work on for the next step of my project.
    I'll have to select only one so I'm asking which can be the more relevant, interesting etc...

    ReplyDelete

Voluntary simplicity ??

Voluntary Simplicity is a lifestyle consisting in voluntarily reducing our dependence to the tangible properties. More precisely, it is a social movement, at base more individual than institutional, which proposes to each one to reduce its dependence to the money and the speed, to release from time for the community rather than to use it to earn more money, and to support the ecological and respectful behaviors of the company (...).
I chose to work with these persons because I think that this philosophy is a big step to responsible consumption (what I want to promote with my social design approach).