working on how to bring solutions of transition towards more responsible lifestyles

<>

January 31, 2009

Sustainable Clothing - Master's thesis

Extract:
For this Master degree project, I chose to work the topic of sustainability because, besides being a fact more than actual, it proposes, by the values that it conveys, a new design of what should be the lifestyles on the planet. And this concern, of which I quickly felt near, is moreover in terms of design, a vast field of reflection for which I impassioned myself. This project thus reflects my personal convictions, and this more especially as I had to make a stand on the omnipresent and quite aggressive communication, that the subject is the object currently; but the questioning is still connected to the reality: the concern of maintaining quality of life on the Earth by the safeguarding of the natural resources.
It is thus naturally my interest for the social design which led me to work this topic but more than the choice of the subject, it is the way of approaching it which rose from it. Indeed, I more particularly stuck to the human dimension and sociological aspect of sustainable development, and that in order to seek to answer the following question: can design help to solve problems due to the behaviours of the current society?


Index:
Foreword
Thanks
Introduction or genesis of the project
1- In search of new responsible ways of life
• The 21e century challenge: to change
• In the field of design, some people work already on it…
• Responsible consumption: a possible answer
• And me in all that?
2- Take action, through the example of clothing
• The choice of clothing
• Problems
Project intentions and objectives
3- Clothing and ethics…
• Clothing
• Recycling systems
• Current trends in ethics
• Interviews of non-consumerists people: needs and opportunities
4- Sustainable Clothing
• Creation of a recycling system
• Towards a new service…
Conclusion
Opening is my positioning an antithesis?
References… contacts, glossary and bibliographies


If you are interested by the reading of my master's thesis (only in french for the moment), or for all other questions, feel free to contact me at magalie.pedrono[at]gmail.com

(go to the french version)

1 comment:

  1. I envy you a lot! Your topic is so organized and laid out nicely. I wish I could think of a good topic, too. I had a lot of good thesis ideas but I wasn’t able to have them approved by my professor because they weren’t well thought of, so he said. Oh boy, I hope I get to finish soon :(

    ReplyDelete

Voluntary simplicity ??

Voluntary Simplicity is a lifestyle consisting in voluntarily reducing our dependence to the tangible properties. More precisely, it is a social movement, at base more individual than institutional, which proposes to each one to reduce its dependence to the money and the speed, to release from time for the community rather than to use it to earn more money, and to support the ecological and respectful behaviors of the company (...).
I chose to work with these persons because I think that this philosophy is a big step to responsible consumption (what I want to promote with my social design approach).