working on how to bring solutions of transition towards more responsible lifestyles

<>

November 14, 2008

Conclusion 1/3

After the presentation of the first part of my work, I chose to work the orientation 2 (more proximity) to which I associated the action, I order!
(on the image you can see the logo the ENVIE company that I took in reference for his organization - click to enlarge)


The last duel was between orientation 2 and 3 (more proximity or more valorization).

Orientation 4 (more "communisation") was first of all, the most distant from my starting positioning (to propose to people to recycle their own textiles), and especially this kind of approach was really much more of the field of research than the professional master which is required to me. If I had chosen it, I would have been reduced to make space design, but it was not really what I wished.
It's though an experimentation which I find interesting to carry out, and I hope to be able to work on this subject later.

Orientation 1 (more autonomisation), however it was my preferred since the beginning, it appeared during my research as being a keen demand and very relevant today, but also too much close to what already exists. The risk was thus to fall back in the existing systems, my intervention of service designer would not be more that useful. This kind of workshops, even if there don't exist yet, will certainly be developing on the initiative of dressmakers or others…


¿ ¿ more proximity or more valorization??
In fact these two orientation are by their positioning, the most opposite from one of the other:
the first attempts to support the responsible and local trade by proposing a proximity service, personalized and close to artisan way and the second endeavors to encourage the big firms to give to themselves (and the customers) a sense of responsibility by considering part of waste which they generate…

I would have liked to work the 3rd, because the impact of this new system would be much broader and could represent a great evolution in the world of clothing….
… and although I would have adored to contribute to this change, I had to choose according to what was, or not, realizable within the framework of a degree project of l'École de design Nantes Atlantique!


With wire of my research, I have been more and more seduced by the idea to take up the challenge of the 3rd orientation (I bring back) with a large firm (H&M kind), because it be a track very established in a industrial logic (a good point for an industrial design degree) and especially for the impact broad that it can have if it works!! … but the main problem is that it's something too much long and complex to set up within the framework of my degree project (disassembling of the textiles in industry? , design of a new product…)
… and will this new product be liked??
I am supposed to make this study during the 2nd part of the project,
(close to have validated the concept design of the organization of the system, this part consists in formulating the product which is an example to show the operation of the system set up), but I realize that it will be difficult, in spite of my enthusiasm, to do that in one month.
And then, as one said to me, one should not forget the risk of greenwashing. I would not like that my positioning and my starting ambitions are drowned in the logic of an industrial firm which will adhere to my project only on the surface!
Imagine the shift between the ecologist-socio-responsible positioning of my project and the fact that this kind of companies continues to sell products with a poor technical quality and which the lifespan is less than 6 months .....
This association could considerably weaken the ideology of my project, and it's not either what I want.

For all these reasons, I selected to work the 2nd orientation, more proximity (I order) in order to develop the local store, one of the keys of sustainable development and much nearer to my initial positioning:
all the textiles could be recycled by my service.
Moreover the product of this system (patterns) is much more conceivable in term of quantity of work for this short phase.

I do not forget that there are good ideas associated with the 3 other orientations and maybe I will combine them with my future proposal, if that is interesting. I could for example propose to people to buy these patterns and to carry out them to work on it at home, or put this project in a logic of existing trademark if that is justified….

In any case, thank you for your critics, your advises and your votes, and don't hesitate to give me your opinion following this decision. I will present to you a summary of my research at the beginning of next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Voluntary simplicity ??

Voluntary Simplicity is a lifestyle consisting in voluntarily reducing our dependence to the tangible properties. More precisely, it is a social movement, at base more individual than institutional, which proposes to each one to reduce its dependence to the money and the speed, to release from time for the community rather than to use it to earn more money, and to support the ecological and respectful behaviors of the company (...).
I chose to work with these persons because I think that this philosophy is a big step to responsible consumption (what I want to promote with my social design approach).